7:00 – 9:00 am – Gradual arrival
- 7:00 – One classroom open
- 8:00 – Second classroom and gymnasium open (free time)
- 8:30 – Third classroom open
Classroom open – Hands-on learning material available to children. All learning centers are available. Teachers are getting children involved and also welcoming and greeting parents and children.
9:00 – 9:30 – Carpet time
- Gathering social time
- Planning of the day
- Taking attendance
- Phonics stories
Carpet time – This gathering time is a time to inform the children what is planned for the day, such as fieldtrips or activities, small group work, etc., to prepare the child for his/her activities which are available to him/her that day.
9:30 – 10:00 – Gym time
- Stretching (Yoga)
- Running exercises
- Music and movement
- Game play
Gym time – Activities providing gross motor/large muscle skills. Once a child’s large muscles begin to develop and mature, then the small muscle skill development matures such as writing, zipping, cutting, tying.
10:00 – 11:00 – Work time
- Classroom open
- Outdoors open
- Fieldtrips available
- Learning center open
Work time – Work time is a large, uninterrupted block of learning time. The teachers are guiding, challenging, and directing the children in their self chosen work. Children are working with “hands-on” concrete materials: anything they can touch, see, and feel. Your child is a unique individual and we accept you child’s work where he/she is at and help develop his/her full potential.
Key Vocabulary, Reading, and Writing Available
Key vocabulary is a reading system where children memorize words that mean something to them. The words have special meaning to that child because the child chose the word himself/herself and has actually experienced that word sometime in his/her life. With Key Vocabulary, children have the capability of writing and knowing words immediately.
Hands-on Concrete Learning Materials Available
- Language Arts – The language arts are a part of daily living speaking, listening and beginning steps of reading and writing.
- Math – The math skills involved are adding, counting, subtracting, measuring, estimation, and building
- Science – Pet care, food experiences, plant care, and problem solving.
- Social Studies – Develops intelligent, responsible, self-directing people who can function as members of groups in the community and in the world.
11:00 -11:10 – Clean up/Wash up time
- Teacher/Child Cooperation
- Putting away materials
- Finish up their work
Clean up time – Teachers and children are working together cleaning up after themselves and being responsible for putting their materials away when they are through.
11:10 – 11:30 – Carpet time #2
- Phonics stories
- Music, poetry, and fingerplays
- Children’s stories
Carpet time – This carpet time is used to expose the children to various aspects of music and stories and is also an opportunity to introduce various learning skills.
11:30 – 12:00 – Lunch time
- Hot lunch time
12:00 – 1:00 – Noon time
- Outdoor play
12:30 – 3:00 – Nap time / Quiet time
- Available for those children who need it.
2:00 – 3:00 – Snack time
3:00 – 3:30 – Carpet time
3:30 – 6:00 – Gradual departure and work time